Thursday, March 31, 2011

30 for 30 Remix Challenge: What I Learned

Well, April 1 is upon us and I can't believe that tomorrow morning I get wake up and not have to choose from the 30 items hanging on my drying rack in our room. (I strategically placed the rack of clothes in front of my shoe rack, so I wouldn't be enticed aside. It worked. I actually am excited to pore through my collection again... I kinda forget what's there!!)

And my biggest question: What on earth am I going to wear?!?! hahaha! Ya, not. :o) That will actually be the least of my concerns. ha.. No, in all seriousness, I am curious to see what direction my brain will come when it comes to picking out my first outfit after the 30 day challenge... I might post it just for the heck of it. We'll see.

(Who knows, you guys... I could go through major outfit-posting withdrawals and you might just see more than you bargained for!) :o)

Anyway - on with the lesson! Here are some things, big and small, I learned from this challenge:

#1: Denim may be a weekend staple, but that doesn't mean I can't explore other options of what casual means for my days off, errands or being at home (ie: blogging.. haha) *Day 12 was a good example of this. I had a day off and was hosting a family supper that night. This outfit ended up being one of my favourites.*

#2: Try to look at staples in your closet with fresh eyes. (ie: Tuck in a long cardigan, make a sleeveless dress as a vest, etc.) With a little creativity, you'd be amazed at what you can come up with.

#3: I learned how to stay in the frame and (although it's a work in progress still) I learned how to take better self-portraits. Yay! I look back at Day 1 and I'm like, whaaat was I doing? hahah.. Guess it's a learning curve.. Yes, indeed this is an accomplishment. :o)

#4: Don't be afraid of mixing up your footwear for the office/work. Normally, during the winter months, I rotate my outfits around my boots for work. ('Cuz I don't wanna change my footwear when I get to work! *stamps foot*) But honestly, it's not that big of deal.. haha.. it's not! Besides, I only had 4 options for footwear this month and my boots got old, real fast! So, I toted my shoes in my bag to work. Easy enough. Instant variety!

#5: Don't be afraid to plan out your outfits and *gasp* write it down! (PS I did not do this enough. I wish I had). That way, Monday morning when the coffee pot is broken or you go to open your dishwasher and the clasp got stuck on the last cycle and never opened up to let the soap out and all. your. dishes. are. still. dirty (this may or may not have happened to me), at least the outfit is planned. One less thing to go wrong. Can I whoot whoot for that??

#6: ....But at the same time, leave the door open for creativity! If you have certain oufit planned and then at the last second decide you want different accessories (hello, Day 21!), then by all means, go for it!

#7: If I can do this 30-day challenge, why not try other 30-day challenges? Like cutting something out of my diet (I'll cut out lettuce and add lots of chocolate! oh... no? the other way around? dangit.) or doing a certain exersises for 30 days.. whatever it is! If there's one thing I've learned it's that 30 days goes by verrryyy quickly! And I think the good habits I picked up for this style challenge will help me with my wardrobe for the rest of my life, truthfully. Wouldn't another 30-day challenge work the same way? I think so. :o) Some food for thought anyway...

Look at me, blogging and giving style tips, like I'm some big fashionista... ha! (not) :o) I guess these are just the things I've learned, so I wanted to share them... Maybe they'll help some of you, too.. who knows?! :o)

This challenge has been so much fun.. more than fun actaually. It's been a blast. (But I am getting awfully sick of my face though. And my poses. I have like two good ones. Maybe. And I'm sick of self-timer, too. hahah) :o)

Every now and then I think I will do ODJ posts though... I enjoy fashion and the art of putting together an outfit and all of that... And this blog is about things I (er, we) enjoy, so why not!?! :o)

Anyway, thanks for sticking around and hanging with me for these last 31 days... I loved all your comments and encouragement! There were moments I was like, whatever! I'll just give up.. (especially this last week!) But it's been rewarding to see this challenge through!

BRING ON THE SPRING 30x30 REMIX CHALLENGE! :o)

xo ~Jess

No comments: