Hey everyone... So, this post is going to have no pictures, so just to warn you now... haha.. It's a more ramble-y, "I felt inspired" type post instead, so I hope you'll bear with me... I promise I won't be offended if you click out of this post now... :)
If I'm being really honest, I guess I'm writing this post for myself. I had an "ah-ha" moment last night, when I was at Wok Box for supper and I want to make sense of where my thoughts are really headed with this... :) So, read along if you want....
As I mentioned, I was at Wok Box for supper last night.. I love their food. It's fresh, tasty and fairly healthy. When my order was ready, they called my number and I proceeded to the pick-up bar to get my order. It's the same place where the napkins, chop sticks and other utensils are located. I grabbed my usual: a napkin, a set of chopsticks and a fork. (Oh yes, and my food).
And then I stopped.
And I asked myself this question: "Why do you need a fork, Jessica, if you're going to use chopsticks?"
Yeah, Jessica! Good question! Huh? Huh? Why do ya?
I have been doing that for years. Grabbing chopsticks and a fork. Just in case. Just in case chopsticks get uncomfortable or I can't pick something up with them and... well, there ya go.. I have a fork just in case!
I would say it's been about 5 years of me trying to learn to eat Asian cuisine with chopsticks. And it's true... 5 years ago I resorted to switching to a fork about half way through my meal.
But that was five years ago. I have, in the past few months, been able to finish a whole meal (I know! Gold star for me! haha!) with chopsticks alone...
So. Why. Do. I. Keep. Reaching. For. A. Fork., Too?
Here's the ah-ha moment: because it's safe. because it's there. because it's assessable.
Just like everything else I choose in life. The safe option. The non-risky option.
It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, I always choose safe.
At the gym.
In my job.
My spiritual life.
The kitchen.
You get the point.
I should back up though. There is nothing wrong with safe. (Obviously). And safe is necessary in every aspect of our life. But I am STUCK in safe, it seems. I'm not reaching, stretching, eager to learn and whatever other cliche you'd like to add in there.
So here's my 2012 (and the years to come, too!) challenge to myself.
STOP CHOOSING SAFE.
For example, when I'm at the gym, I need to stop wimping out. I need to STOP telling myself I'm not a runner. I need to STOP telling myself I can't lift that much weight. I need to STOP telling myself I will never be able to do that yoga pose.
No one at the gym is telling me I can't do this. In fact, I'm sure if people could read my thoughts, I would have a flood of support.. no, Jessica, you can do it! Keep going! One more rep! Yes!
I AM telling myself I can't do this. I'm choosing safe. I'm choosing the fork.
Over the summer, my mom and dad went on a (pedal) bike ride with some friends. Mom probably hadn't been on a bike in a few years.. but she's capable and active enough, she picked it right back up again. She told me a little story that came back to me last night, about this said bike ride...
The trails they chose that day were hilly and wound down by river. She told me she came to one big hill and before she even started the hill (she knew it was coming up), she had her mind made up that she couldn't make it up the hill. Sure enough, half way up, she convinced herself she had to hop off and walk/push her bike up the rest of the hill.
And these were her words to me that night: "Oh, I was so MAD at myself, Jessica! I know I could have made it! I don't know why I do that all the time... think I can't do something.."
She chose the fork. We all do it, don't we?
I also choose safe in my spiritual life. I don't reach out to others as much as I could. And I mean, to all people. Not just my group of friends.
"A lukewarm heart God cannot cherish...."
He wants zeal and first place and a deep love for Him and His Son... I *know* I can go deeper in my spiritual life.
I think the thing that annoys me the most is that the "fork" is always right there. It's soooo easy to grab. Why does life have to make the "fork" so assessable? Sometimes I wish that life would just take the "fork" away and leave me with no option but the "chopsticks". Like take away all the 8lb dumbbells at the gym so the only option I have are the 10, 12, 17.5 and 20 pound weights. It wouldn't be easy. Not even close. But it would make me step out and go for it, wouldn't it?
But life is not like that. So, instead, I have to make the CONSCIOUS choice to step out and go for it.
I'm smiling as I write this now.. Smiling because that right there is what taking risks and stepping out is all about... it's about me making the choice and then getting rewarded for it.
That's much better than being forced to use the chopsticks. (See how my thoughts have come full circle here?! haha). Because honestly, it's going to be kinda cool when I go to Wok Box next time and I can look at the fork container and say, nope, I don't need you any more.. Then I will confidently grab the chopsticks and devour my Chicken Kung Pao. :)
I have a lot of big things coming up this year. At the end of March, I will be laid off from my job. I haven't really talked about it much. I found out in June 2011. I work for non-profit organization that is contracted to Travel Alberta. Travel Alberta has opted not to renew that contract in the new fiscal year, so that leaves me and my co-workers jobless. Which royally sucks. But I want to apply this fork/chopstick theory to even seeking out new employment. Don't be afraid to try something new, different, creative, exciting and/or challenging.
That all being said, I hope I haven't offended anyone with my chopstick theory. It's just a little personal experience that happened to me and I wanted to share it with you all.
Writing does that for me. Helps me organize my thoughts. That's why I share (or over-share).. hahah..:)
What about you guys? Any fears you want to overcome? Anyone else tired of safe?
Let's motivate each other, shall we?
And with that here is my parting thought:
Chopsticks flippin' rule.
:)
Until next time!
xo ~ Jessica






5 comments:
:) Jessica darling, you are completely right! Well said! I'm the same - a little too comfortable. Amazing how a person can grow, when they just go for the 'chopsticks'! ;0)
Love it!!! And I agree 100%.
o jessica:-) next time skip the fork and chopsticks... challenge yourself to eat with a toothpick!! jk. but... seriously....
you shud open a coffeshop. i cud live my dream through you!!
Awesome post Jessica and so true!! I think we are all the same and go for what we know is safe. Here is to growth this year!!
I enjoyed this post Jessica - good food for thought!
Post a Comment