Sunday, November 13, 2011

New-to-me Denim Skirt!

So I've had this denim skirt for ages.  Well, since we first moved (back) to Red Deer.  So, 5-ish years?  I guess it just feels like forever because I actually don't really like it that much.  It's cute enough, the length is awkward on me, the fit is a bit bizarre and it's a bit too "stretchy denim" for me... 

So, I thought I would re-purpose it into a new-to-me skirt with a few alterations.  (Not done by me.  Me and sewing machines have bad first impressions of each other.  We're thinking of starting over again this winter.  We'll see.)  I still don't LOVE-love it, but it's a bit better.. more interesting at the least!  Read below for the deets!

 Denim skirt... unfinished hem (suppose to be like that) and rip in the back...

 Cute detailing in the stitching in the back, but there is the rip to contend with...

 Material and trim bought!  I decided to take out the centre triangle (see above), fill it with the mustard-y yellow material and trim the bottom with that cream cotton lace.

 Finished product!  Like I said, I don't love it, but it's better than before... The length is super odd and I wish I would have gotten it hemmed about 2 inches before she sewed the trim on.  It looks cute with heels, but I normally wear flat boots or shoes with my denim skirts, so by keeping it at this length (plus the trim adds a bit of length too) it totally cuts me off, mid calf.  Bah.  Boo for being short.

I styled it today with a tan cotton turtle-neck, soft brown textured tights and brown platform heels.  I've also worn black with it, which I love...  It adds a bit a drama to the feminine pattern and lace trim.  
I guess I could take it back to my seamstress and get her to take a seam-ripper to the trim, hem it a bit, then re-sew the trim back on.  What a pain though.  Especially for her.  I guess I could do the seam-ripping part..   haha.. apparently, I'm better at destruction than reconstruction! :)

Any sewers out there that do this kind of stuff on a regular basis?  I feel like I am kind of late to the re-purposing party!  Haha.. oh well, better late than never right!?  What are some projects you've done to take some blah in your closet to less blah?  Do tell!! I love clothes stories!!
(I love all stories, if I'm being really honest! ha!)

Until next time!
xo  ~ Jess

3 comments:

Jesse said...

I like that a lot! I totally need help with my closet! I love your DIY projects!

Jesse said...

I love this skirt! You are great at DIY's! My wish for my life is to learn to sew!

skippysays said...

I really love it! What a wonderful way to make a denim skirt unique! And I'm hoping to learn to sew as well :)
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com